C A L L F O R P A P E R S
23 – 24 September 2022, Karlovo
The Centre for Economic History Research (CEHR), Evlogiy and Hristo Georgievi Foundation and the Faculty of History, University of Veliko Turnovo are kindly inviting you to attend the scientific conference “Dilemmas of Development”, which will be held in Karlovo between 23th and 24th September 2022.
The positive economic development in the long run is rather an exception than constant state for many regions, societies and countries. Only in the last two or three centuries has it become a permanent feature of the economy of some countries. Their progress affected the peripheral economies in various ways – they tried to reach and surpass the developed industrial societies. The ways to catch up is experimenting with different models, ideas, concepts, policies and business practices. The economic activities of Evlogiy and Hristo Georgievi, the great Bulgarian entrepreneurs and benefactors in the 19th century, is an example in this respect. The main goal of the conference, which is dedicated to the 150th anniversary of the death of Hristo Georgiev, is to analyze various aspects of this process of “catching up” between core and peripheral economies from historical and economic perspective. Discussions will focus on several main areas:
- Economic policy as an impetus or restraint on development;
- Models / paths in economic development of regions or settlements, in economic behavior of communities and individuals;
- Economic ideas and their role in economic development from historical perspective;
- Business practices: entrepreneurship, business organization, regional initiatives and other similar aspects of economic development.
The conference is open to historians, economists, sociologists and more. You can submit a report of up to 15 minutes. The attendance of the conference and the presentation of the report are mandatory due to the procedure of reviewing the subsequent publication.
The working languages of the conference will be Bulgarian and English.
The Organizing Committee aims to publish the papers as the seventh volume of the Proceedings of CEHR. Since it will be referenced edition, the participants in the conference have to submit their texts in accordance with the following requirements:
- To include abstract in English after the title of the text (150-300 words);
- To add key words in English after the abstract;
- To indicate JEL classification. For details see here;
- To insert pictures, tables, diagrams and sketches (if applicable) in the text with numbers and annotations;
- To cite archival sources in footnotes;
- To use Harvard short reference system when citing information sources (see here);
- To use Streamlined System for transliteration when citing in Cyrillic (see here).
The deadline for submissions of proposals is 1 July 2022. The proposals must include short abstract, which should not exceed 150 words. Applications should be submitted on CEHR’s site: (https://csii.bg/en/regform-en/)
or to be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All participants in the conference need to cover their own expenses during their stay in Veliko Turnovo.
Additional information for the conference will be provided on CEHR’s web-site: (https://csii.bg/en/home-en/)
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Gergana Georgieva
Chair of the Organizing Committee