C A L L F O R P A P E R S
FACTORS OF ECONOMIC GROWTH IN HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE
29 – 30 September 2023, Veliko Tarnovo
The Centre for Economic History Research (CEHR), and the Faculty of History, University of Veliko Tarnovo are kindly inviting you to attend the scientific conference “Factors of Economic Growth in Historical Perspective”, which will be held in Veliko Tarnovo between 29th and 30th September 2023.
Economic growth, which means pace/speed of economic development is a relatively new idea in economics. The question of what the factors of economic growth are causes profound debates among economists and economic historians. Main discussions are focused on: the role and importance of capital accumulation, trade, globalization, demographic changes, colonialism, banking system, political institutions, scientific achievements, the way the majority of the population perceives profit, markets, etc. Economic growth leads to a substantial improvement in standards of living, an increase in life expectancy, etc. It is assumed however, that it can also become a source of problems such as the exhaustion of natural resources, and can cause some negative social transformations. An explicit and generally accepted answer about the main reasons for economic growth has not been reached.
The organizers of the conference aim to contribute to the debate on the factors of economic growth through the perspective of economic history in its different scientific approaches. We expect papers in the following main areas:
- Factors of economic growth in the Balkan/Bulgarian history through the ages;
- Institutional structure and economic growth;
- Factors that constrain economic growth;
- The political factor and economic growth in a historical perspective – influences, dependencies, trends;
- The specific economic actors (trader, entrepreneur, industrialist) and their role in economic growth;
- The settlement/region as an environment for economic growth.
The conference is open to historians, economists, sociologists etc. In case that your submission is accepted you have to present during the conference for 15 minutes. The attendance of the conference and the presentation of the report are mandatory due to the procedure of reviewing the subsequent publication.
The working languages of the conference are Bulgarian and English.
The Organizing Committee aims to publish the papers as the seventh volume of the Proceedings of CEHR. Since it will be referenced edition, the participants in the conference have to submit their texts in accordance with the following requirements:
- To include abstract in English after the title of the text (150-300 words);
- To add key words in English after the abstract;
- To indicate JEL classification. For details see here;
- To insert pictures, tables, diagrams and sketches (if applicable) in the text with numbers and annotations;
- To cite archival sources in footnotes;
- To use Harvard short reference system when citing information sources (see here);
- To use Streamlined System for transliteration when citing in Cyrillic (see here).
The deadline for submissions of proposals is 1 July 2023. The proposals must include short abstract, which should not exceed 150 words. Applications should be be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All participants in the conference need to cover their own expenses during their stay in Veliko Tarnovo.
Additional information for the conference will be provided on CEHR’s web-site: (https://csii.bg/en/home-en/)
Prof. Ivan Roussev, D.Sc.
Corresponding Member of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
Assoc. Prof. Gergana Georgieva, PhD